World Standards Day
World Standards Day, recognized annually on October 14, provides a platform for the global community to celebrate the influence standards have to transform our world for the benefit of everyone.
This year’s theme, Shared Vision for a Better World: Standards for SDGs, highlights that more than ever, it is critical for us to work together, as a nation and as a world, to preserve our planet and ensure the prosperity of future generations through standardization.
The BBSQ is committed to our nation’s progress and development and has already made strides in helping the nation progress toward meeting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The SDGs were designed to develop a sustainable economy, address systemic inequalities, and mitigate the effects of climate change.
Today, as an organization, our technical committees that deal with food safety and quality (TC 13), environmental management and protection (TC 14), and energy efficiency for buildings and appliances (TC 11) are actively striving to meet the SDGs and are working towards making The Bahamas a better, more equitable place where all its citizens can thrive.
BBSQ World Standards Day 2021 Video
BBSQ has declared 19 national standards to date. 40 standards related to the Sustainable Development Goals are currently being developed, and 3 have been declared.
- ISO 9000:2015 Quality management systems -- Fundamentals and vocabulary
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality management systems – Requirements
- ISO 9004:2018 Managing for the sustained success of an organization – A quality management approach
Technical Committee 9 – Management Systems
- ISO 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
Technical Committee 11 – Electro-technical and Energy Efficiency
Standards under Review Related to Energy Efficiency
- CARICOM Regional Energy Efficiency Building Code 2018 (CREEBC)
- ISO/IEC 13273-1:2015 Energy efficiency and renewable energy sources – Common international terminology – Part 1: Energy efficiency
- ISO/IEC 13273-2:2015 Energy efficiency and renewable energy sources – Common international terminology – Part 2: Renewable energy sources
- ISO 50000 Energy management system series
Technical Committee 13 – Food and Food Products
Standards under Review Related to Food Safety and Quality
- ISO 20000 Food safety management systems series in particular:
- ISO 22000:2018 Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain
- CRS 18:2011 Specification for honey
- CRS 35:2010 Specification for spices and sauces
- CRCP 4:2010 Code of practice for fish and fishery products
Technical Committee 14 – Environmental Management and Protection
Standards under Review Related to the Environment
ISO 14000 Environmental management systems standards series in particular
- ISO 14004:2016 Environmental management systems — General guidelines on implementation